Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The "Find A Story" Challenge

First, let me say WOW!  What started as an mindless attempt to clean my desk yesterday and morphed into a late night decision to start a journalism training blog has now turned into a full-fledged smack-myself-on-the-forehead OH SHIT moment after @MorningEdition and Marketplace's @moorehn retweeted my first blog post.  We're now up to 268 pageviews in less than 12 hours.  Exciting and really, freakin' scary!  Thanks, guys... I hope you're not disappointed. 

So, building on the debut "You Want To Tell A Story" post (in which I talk about ignoring the press releases and the email inbox to instead find stories IYourRL), I've got a little exercise for you.  

Stop, right now, whatever you're doing. Look around the room for a story idea.  Find something, anything, that triggers a possible story idea.   Take a picture of it and email it to me (tanyaott@gmail.com) along with a brief summary of the possible story idea.

This isn't rocket science. And it doesn't have to be a PRNDI/Murrow/Polk (insert other fancy award name) winning idea.  Just a kernel of something to work with.   I did the exercise myself and have these two photos to offer.





Tomorrow, I'll explain my story ideas ... and share some of yours.  C'mon. This'll be fun. I promise! 

1 comment:

  1. Augh! I sent you a pic with a short summary then came up with three other ideas. I love the blog. Especially since Poynter used to do this and stopped and I was considering starting one of my own.

    ReplyDelete